Westville School District is proud to announce that Mr. Jared Ellison, principal of Westville Junior High School, has been named the 2019 Illinois Middle School Principal of the Year by Illinois Principals Association and Horace Mann. The award recognizes middle school principals who have demonstrated a positive impact on their students and learning community. Criteria for the award include:
- Demonstrates a positive impact on education and advocacy for children
- Ensures the school climate is positive and reflects high staff and student morale
- Demonstrates creativity and imagination in bringing about positive change
- Willing to take risks to improve student learning
- Moves actively to implement the goals and objectives of the school
- Works collaboratively with teachers and other staff to improve the educational program and student achievement
- Anticipates emerging problems and acts effectively to resolve them
- Involves the community in the life of the school and uses community resources for students.
Mr. Ellison has served as principal of Westville Junior High School for the past eight years and has been an active member of the Illinois Principals Association for twelve years. Currently, Mr. Ellison serves as Illini Region State Director and member of the Board of Directors for the Illinois Principals Association. He also serves as a member of the Finance and Conference Planning Committees. Mr. Ellison has previously served as Illini Region Director, Region Legislative Chair, has planned and organized Illini Region Secretary Appreciation, Student Recognition, and social events, and has participated in the IPA “Principal for a Day” program by hosting State Representative Mike Marron.
“I believe that as a principal I can help other people each and every day,” said Mr. Ellison. “As a principal, I work to understand what a student is going through the best I can. So many things affect students at the middle school level. When students speak to me about issues they face at home and school, I have been supportive and let them see I am there for them no matter what.”
“The skills Mr. Ellison demonstrates as a leader arise from skills that he models as a middle school principal,” said Jennifer Richardson, principal at Mark Denman Elementary, Danville, and IPA Illini Region Director. “He embodies a professional that not only works to refine his craft, but also pours into others so they can grow professionally.”
The Middle School Principal of the Year winner was selected from a pool of region nominees provided by the 21 Regions of the Illinois Principals Association. Jared Ellison will be recognized at the IPA’s annual Education Leaders Fall Conference in October 2019.
Congratulations Mr. Ellison on this excellent recognition. It is certainly well earned and an excellent reflection on the students, staff, and community served at Westville Schools.